Foreshadowing....?

I just ran across a journal entry I wrote on 2/6/2018. This was about 4 months before I moved out on my own. Maybe it was foreshadowing, maybe I knew all along...

......................................................................................................................................................................

February 6, 2018

A New Year, A New Me…

After my visit with Grandma Kanno on Monday, I had a long text chat with my sister Jennifer and cousin Kristin. I thanked them for giving me the nudge I needed to make that visit. I’m glad that I did. We spoke about memories, the smells that remind us of our grandparent’s house. Hide and Seek, Corn on the Cob eating contests, Grandma’s Spaghetti, and Half Sticks of Wrigley’s Doublemint Gum.

I woke Tuesday morning it was cold and with the chance of rain, I decided I would not cycle to work like I did yesterday. I got a late start this morning and decided to drive the girls to school. I brought with me a nice hot cup of coffee, which sits so perfectly on the dash of my truck, steaming up my windshield. The cup hand thrown by a local potter.




The rising sun painted the peaks of the Stansbury Mountains with her golden rays. The radio was set to 103.1 The Wave who was playing Lust for Life by Iggy Pop and I thought… “Yeah…Life. Its time to live life.” I’m only 50. Grandpa lived into his mid-80’s and Grandma is now 95. Grandma Stoker also lived to her early 90’s. I still have decades left.

I have things to do. Places to see. People to visit. People to meet. Food to eat. Paths to walk. Mountains to climb. Concerts to hear. Performances to see.

Sometimes Anthony Bourdain can be annoying. Some of his shows I’d rather skip but… I’ve been watching Parts Unknown since it moved to CNN. I really like this series. He doesn’t just talk about himself, or the food, but more of the entire culture of the region he is profiling. It makes me think of all the cultures that I have to experience.

The kids are grown, there is work but life is simpler, less hectic. There is time to capture these moments and even write about them.

I believe I am about to experience a new beginning, similar to our Japanese New Year Celebration….

......................................................................................................................................................................

RIP to Grandma and Anthony

Comments