Google Local Guide: How to Rate a Business

Ever wonder why so many people either Love or Hate a business?

I believe its because people are black and white about it. They have no gray area.

Just a little internet search brought this up. It was actually just what I was looking for. This is Google's Rating Guide for Reviews posted to Google Maps.


I am actually a Level 8 Local Guide on Google. I currently have 248 reviews of places that I have been: Restaurants, Hotels, Stores, etc. I have also posted over 2,000 photos and videos that have been seen over 13 Million times! I feel I have a little experience at reviewing.

My reviews are typically 3-4 stars. There are not many places that I Love and I'm not going to be found anywhere near a place that is getting a lot of 1-2 stars so you probably won't see me review them.

Back to the Black and White...
I don't understand why people are either Love or Hate but if they knew this guideline, they may think twice about how they are reviewing.

I've noticed that there are so many 5-Star reviews out there that when I'm searching for a place to stay, visit or dine at, I'm looking for anything with, at a minimum, 4.3 Stars. I believe this weeds out most of the 1-2 star ratings so I must be visiting a pretty solid place.
Google's reference chart for posting Reviews

If everyone used the same Rating System, we would all know that 3-Stars means "It's Okay" and that 4-Stars means they "Liked it". As it stands now, I have to decide on what scale of 4.0-5.0 is really an "I Liked It" or "I Loved It"!

Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

Thanks for reading!



Comments