Biking Down a Volcano!

A volcano you say? This sounds a little more dramatic than it really was but 26 miles of downhill fun is something to erupt about! Probably the funnest thing I have done on Maui!

If you take a bike tour of Maui, use Maui Sunriders Bike Company.

We made reservations for this trip as soon as we arrived on the island. When you reserve, it asks about rider size, height, age, etc.

On the scheduled day, we gathered at the shop for a safety briefing and gather our equipment. Bikes were already loaded on the vans. They had bikes picked out that matched our sizes. We had a 10 year old who used a bike that attached to the parent's bike like a trailer. We were each given a helmet and a kit with rain gear, a bike lock, map, and a backpack for it all.

Geoffrey the Giraffe and a Victure Action Cam along for the ride.
Our whole group of 10 fit into one van. On the way, our driver showed us the route, taught us the turns we needed to take. There is a map included with your kit but if you just remember a few easy turns, you won't even need to refer to your map.
Vans loaded and ready to go!

We drove up to an elevation of 6,600 feet, just outside of Haleakalā National Park. This is the side of a volcano! Our bikes were given to us and we did a quick seat height adjustment, reviewed some safety tips, posed for a group photo and off we went!
The whole family ready for a ride!

Corinne and Juan

Stacey and Jeff

The bikes have strong and grippy disk brakes. They are one speed bikes with a low gear for hill climbing. There are only a few very small hills and you will hardly pedal during your ride.

Some of us had been biking all summer (or like me, forever), so we were up to the task. Others in our group took it a little slower. Spoiler Alert! We all make it down the mountain in one piece with no injuries.

We left the top and looked from the mountain at fantastic ocean views. About 13 miles off in the distance I could see our condo. It was so clear that I could even make out the distinctive shape of the surf breaking along our beach.
Looking down at Kihei 13 miles away as the crow flies.

The upper end of the road (this is a road with traffic) winds down the mountain with hairpin curves and blind corners. The stiff winds can make riding in a straight line a challenge.

I took off and passed everyone. I'd stop and let them all pass me again, just to get video footage, then ride all out and pass them all again!

I took the corners fast, leaned into the turn and wondered how far over I could get before I fell. I pushed the envelope. I took a corner so fast that I crossed the double yellow centerline! That was sketchy but I loved it. I could have crashed. I could have been injured. I could have suffered from some road rash. I could have died on that volcano! But I would have died happy!

It was said that Admiral Nimitz built this house after WWII. Note that the front looks like the bow if a ship?
About half way down we stopped in the town of Makawao for lunch. We popped into Komoda's for world famous doughnuts. Here is a link to a fantastic article from 2016 when they turned 100!

We ate lunch and did a little shopping then it was back on the road. We left at 9AM and had to be back before they closed at 4PM We could travel at our pace and were making really good time but we didn't know where else we may want to stop.
I didn't check my speed on the super hilly upper end of the road but down lower, you can see that I hit 43 MPH!

We drove through a couple other small towns and saw many interesting sites: Hawaiian cows, school zones, and even a surfboard fence!

Two and a half hours later, we were almost at sea level, back in the town of Paia. It felt like we had the perfect combination of fun and excitement without becoming exhausted nor wanting more.

Here is a link to my video for this part of our Maui trip. It shows more of our bike ride.

Mahalo!
Jeff



Comments