Cooking Systems

I recently made a very rudimentary video mostly to share with my family. It was about the evolution of my backpacking cook Systems.

It ranged from an old army stove that my dad used to use, to a civilian version, the Coleman Peak 1 that used white gas.

My current stove is a backpackers dream!

It’s actually not available anymore but there are similar models online. Here is a link to other small but powerful stoves.

.

My little stove is a  Brunton Raptor with a piezo igniter. The igniter eliminates the need for matches of a lighter. It is a good idea to have another ignition source just in case. This little stove has not failed yet. The igniter always works. It’s boiled water as high as 10,800 feet with no trouble. I’ve used it in freezing temperatures too. The butane canister can freeze up in the winter but I put the entire container into a bowl with a small amount of water to equalize the temperature of the liquid as it converted to gas. 

Boil times vary with conditions and elevation but this little stove can put out some heat? It can also adjust down to a simmer for cooking your favorite backpacking meals. 
Boiling some water for morning coffee!

My sister and her husband both brought these small Coleman Exponent stoves and they worked out great too. 

Here is a link to the video. I go over stoves and cook kits like my GSI Microdeulist!

Comments