The 10 Essentials

The Ten Essentials for what you ask?
I'm sure there are 10 essentials for many tasks such as:
The Kitchen: Measuring Cups and Spoons, basic spices...Painters have 8 paints, a brush and a canvas! A Mechanic, their basic set of go-to tools...
Me? I'm a hiker, a backpacker. An Outdoorsman and a Camper.
The Ten Essentials for hiking. You never know what you may encounter on the trail. Weather can change in an instant at high elevations. Surrounding can start to look the same in the desert or a slot canyon. You may be out longer than anticipated and need more food or water. Maybe even light after the sun goes down.
The Ten Essentials are designed to cover your...butt...sometimes literally. A snack, an extra bottle of water, jacket, compass.  These are some basics. There are also many inside your head you need to carry too. You need to know how to use the items you carry in your kit. The original list of 10 Essentials was put together in the 1930’s. The basics haven’t changed much over the years. Here is the original list:
  1. Map
  2. Compass
  3. Sunglasses and sunscreen
  4. Extra clothing
  5. Headlamp/flashlight
  6. First-aid supplies
  7. Fire starter
  8. Matches
  9. Knife
  10. Extra food
1 & 2  Map and Compass:
Be sure you are carrying maps of the area you are traveling in.  The most important part of these items is knowing how to use them. The modern equivalent is a GPS unit. Dedicated or in your Smart phone, they are a very useful tool to keep track of your starting point, your distance travelled and time. Remember though that you still need that map and compass because you may need to rely on them if your equipment fails. Don’t forget to set your declination!
3  Sunglasses, Sunscreen:
We all know how a sunburn can ruin a trip. If your trip is multiple days, that pack strap rubbing against your sun burnt shoulder is going to make for a long trip. Sunglasses also protect your eyes especially at higher elevations.
4  Extra Clothing:
If a rain shower hits or the sun goes down, you'll be glad if you an extra layer. More about layering here. On a short trip, all you may need is a light jacket or a long sleeved t-shirt. This all depends on your surroundings, etc. Again, be educated about the area and the weather conditions to be fully prepared. A lightweight alternative is to carry a little Emergency or Space Blanket and a disposable poncho.
5 Headlamp/Flashlight:
This one is self explanatory- just remember to pack fresh batteries. I have a couple headlamps which are great for hands free use but I also like a standard flashlight with a high power beam for looking further into the darkness when needed. This is my everyday carry flashlight. I've had it for 5 years now and its still going strong.
This can be tricky. Everyone should have a small kit that can handle their own needs for the duration. Larger kits for longer trips. More diverse gear for back country outings. The most important part about your first aid kit is you! This is where the skills in your cabeza come in. Knowledge of basic first aid is a start. Know how to use your equipment. Learn how to tie a suture.  Splint a bone. Treat a burn.
7 & 8 Fire starter and Matches:
Does anyone watch Survivor on TV? They get a reward of “flint.”  It’s not really flint. It’s a magnesium bar with a striker. There is a difference and how you use it could mean the difference between life or death. Matches are good. I prefer a little disposable lighter in my kit. Bring a little tinder if you have room. Dryer lint (mostly cotton) is great tinder. Use your brain here too. Start small but have your bigger wood gathered and ready to use.
9 Knife:
Don’t be like that guy who had to cut his arm off with a dull knife! You don’t need to bring a Bowie Knife or a Machete. Bring something that works though. You may need to cut some fabrics, a strap or rope/cord. You may need to sharpen a stick or cut some willows. I bring a locking blade 2.5” Knife with me everywhere. I also take a multi tool with me. The pliers and screwdriver bits are invaluable for back country repairs.
10 Extra Food:
I always have a few granola bars in my pack. Some hard candy and fruit too. You never know if you need to spend an emergency night on the mountain. A little extra food goes a long way to keep you comfortable and warm. I carry my 1 liter Nalgene bottle with me everywhere. On a longer hike, I may take an extra bottle or two in my pack. Just a lightweight, disposable bottle is fine. If I'm going any longer, I bring some Aquamira drops or even my filter. I use a Katadyn Vario that I purchased at Recreation Outlet in Ogden. 
10 1/2 
Not on the list? Toilet Paper or Tissue - Especially for the ladies but you never know when nature calls! A little trash bag or zipper bag for trash.
The list was updated in 2003 to a 'systems' type of list. More information from REI here.
Follow my blog for more interesting articles and stories!

Comments