Evolution of my Hydration System

I've decided to write about the evolution of my backpacking hydration system.
I used to use a hydration bladder and stick it in my pack: it fits in my day pack or my backpack. I liked that it had a tube and I could sip at it all day. But I didn't like the fact the I didn't know how much water I had left. I also didn't like the plastic taste of the bladder. I always had to add something like Kool-Aid packets or my favorite, Country Time Lemonade
I have a half liter Outdoor Products bottles that I started using. I could easily popped my little half liter bottle into the side pouch of my lumbar pack or backpack. It ran out way too quickly. I also have an Ozark Trail one liter bottle that is shaped a little like an hourglass so it seemed that it would fit into a backpack pouch but the flared bottom actually prevented easy entry into the pouch. The OP bottle had a plasticky taste and the Ozark Trail's lid leaked. 
I had a collapsible 1 liter Nalgene pouch that I used in combination with my other bottles on a 36 miler in Yellowstone. I filled the collapsible Nalgene for camp use, cooking, etc. without leaking a drop while I continually had leakage with the Ozark.  
I liked how my Katadyn Vario water pump screwed directly to the Nalgene and the other bottles I carried. 
Collonade Falls
We found a Red Nalgene with a Black Lid at the bottom of Collonade Falls in  Bechler Canyon Yellowstone. It was scratched up but otherwise completely intact. Even had a little fresh water left in it. No I didn't DRINK the water but it obviously did not take on any of the river water. We took it back to camp, threw some boiling water in it to disinfect it and gave it to a boy who was short a bottle. He didn't seem too thrilled with this and I don't know what happened to that bottle...but I do have a picture of it...
I was so thrilled about this seemingly indestructible bottle that I decided to invest in the purchase of my own. I had a gift card to our local Gear 30 here in Ogden (http://gearthirty.com/) so I used it to buy me a new Nalgene Translucent Wide Mouth Bottle I have been hooked on this bottle ever since. It's my daily carry bottle and it pretty much goes everywhere with me. I can keep track of my water intake and the lid unscrews/screws with a simple twist.  I've also foind that the bottle actually holds 1.5 liters of fluid.
Summer of 2013, I took it on a 26 miler to the top of Kings Peak in Utah's Uinta Range. It's earned some battle scars. Ironically from rolling out of my truck. Nothing like going over a waterfall or anything!
Add caption
I like this bottle so much that I bought some for my Backpackin' Besties Joshua and Marv for Christmas - all bought on Amazon. 
So now...when I'm traveling where there's water, I bring my Nalgene bottle with me. I use it for trail water and the collapsible pouch for camp use. I can break out my Vario and pump a couple liters in a few minutes. This is a great combo for traveling 'light'. I plan on collecting a couple more bottles for the desert excursions. Maybe if I had that beat up old Red Nalgene....

Comments